UNITED NATIONS ECONOMIC COMMISSION FOR EUROPE
CONFERENCE OF EUROPEAN STATISTICIANS
8 May 2012
Workshop on Strategic Developments in Business Architecture in Statistics
Information Notice No. 1
The UNECE will host the workshop at the Palais des Nations, Geneva , on 7-8 November 2012. The workshop will start at 09.30 on 7 November in Room XI
I. PURPOSE AND TARGET AUDIENCE OF THE WORKSHOP
1. The Bureau of the Conference of European Statisticians created the High-Level Group for Strategic Directions in Business Architecture in Statistics (HLG-BAS) in 2010. The HLG-BAS has developed a vision and strategy for the future architecture of official statistics production. It has identified a number of expert groups whose work is related to the implementation of the strategy, and would like to invite two representatives of each of these groups to a workshop to discuss issues related to implementation .
2. The purpose of the workshop is therefore to ensure all of the groups represented align their work towards the implementation of a common strategy. The expected outputs are a set of agreed and prioritised implementation actions.
3. The target audience of the workshop is members of the HLG-BAS and representatives of the expert groups identified in the inventory: http://www1.unece . org/stat/platform/x/c4N8Aw . This will normally include the chair of that group and one other representative. Participants will be asked to provide written summaries of the activities of their groups, as well as ideas for discussion prior to the workshop. The workshop will be held back-to-back with the CES Bureau meeting, which is being held on 5-6 November. Bureau members will also be invited to join the workshop.
II. AGENDA OF THE WORKSHOP
4. The programme of the workshop will consist of the following substantive topics:
(i) Overview of the HLG-BAS vision and strategy
This session will set the scene and provide the background for the workshop. The HLG-BAS vision will be summarised, and the strategy to implement it will be presented.
(ii) Standards and standardisation: An overview of recent developments
Three key initiatives will be presented and discussed, with a focus on how they will contribute to the practical implementation of the HLG-BAS Strategy:
Generic Statistical Information Model (GSIM)
The acceleration of work to develop the GSIM was identified as a key priority by the previous workshop. As a result, the HLG-BAS sponsored two “sprint” sessions in early 2012. The current status of the GSIM will be presented and discussed.
Sponsorship on Standardisation
The Sponsorship on Standardisation, jointly chaired by Statistics Netherlands and Eurostat, will provide an update on its activities at the half-way point of this two year initiative. The implications for the work of the HLG-BAS and the expert groups will be discussed.
During the first GSIM “sprint” session, it was identified that an overarching framework or model is needed to combine the GSIM, the Generic Statistical Business Process Model (GSBPM), harmonised methods and standardised technology, to produce statistics in a more efficient way. Initial ideas will be presented for discussion and feedback from participants.
(iii) Actions and mechanisms to implement the strategy
Following an initial presentation, discussions in small groups and in plenary will identify which actions and mechanisms are needed to implement the HLG-BAS strategy. Responsibility for these actions and mechanisms will be discussed, and expert groups will be encouraged to claim and take ownership of tasks relating to their areas of competence.
(iv) Summary and way forward
The outcomes of the workshop will be summarised. A list of key priority actions for the HLG-BAS and the various expert groups will be agreed, including deadlines and responsibilities.
III. ORGANISATIONAL ASPECTS
A. Participation and Accreditation
5. Participation at the workshop will be by invitation only. Each group identified in the inventory referred to in paragraph 3 will be invited to send up to two representatives.
6. All participants attending the workshop are requested to have a valid passport and, if required, a visa. Applications for visas should be made as soon as possible to the Swiss Embassy in the country in which the participant resides, with a reference to the UNECE Workshop on Strategic Developments in Business Architecture in Statistics. A letter to facilitate obtaining a visa can be requested from the UNECE secretariat.
7. Invitees should inform the UNECE secretariat before 30 June if they intend to participate at the workshop or nominate another representative of their group.
8. Participants should complete the registration form, which can be found on the last page, and return it to the UNECE secretariat by 16 September 2011.
B. Travel and Accommodation
9. Participants and/or their offices are requested to make their own travel arrangements and hotel reservations. Information about the venue can be found at http://www.unece.org/m e etings/practical.htm .
10. The organizers regret not being able to assist participants in their travel arrangements (air tickets, trains, local transportation, etc.). Neither the HLG-BAS nor the UNECE secretariat can provide any financial support or take any responsibility for financial arrangements with respect to travel or accommodation.
C. Documentation, Methods of Work and Official Languages
11. The working language of the workshop is English. All documents will be provided in English only, and will be made available on the website of the UNECE secretariat at the following location: http://www1.unece.org/stat/platform/x/-IDFAw .
12. Participants are encouraged to download the papers from the website and bring their own copies to the workshop. Documents posted on the website before the workshop will not be distributed in the conference room.
13. The timetable is from 09.30 to 12.30 and 14.00 to 18.00 on 7 November, and 09.30 to 12.30 and 13.30 to 15.00 on 8 November.
IV. FURTHER INFORMATION
14. For further information, please contact:
Mr. Steven Vale
Chief, Statistical Information and Methodology Unit
Palais des Nations
1211 Geneva 10 Tel: +41 22 917-3285
Switzerland E-mail: email@example.com
Title, dates and venue of the meeting
Participant: Family name First name
Name of country, organisation or agency