Webcast of a meeting hosted by the World Bank which took place on December 19th 2012.
The event posed the questions:
- Can we apply the (expected level of) statistical rigour to big data sources and techniques to help meet the goals of official statistics?
- Can big data replace traditional official data sources?
- Does big data make classical statistical methods obsolete?
- How will social science research change with big data?
- What’s the future of official statistics in a big data world?
Speakers Paul Cheung (former director of the United Nations Statistical Division) and Robert Groves (Georgetwon University and former director of the United States Census Bureau) tackled these questions.
The webcast can be viewed here: http://live.worldbank.org/what-happens-when-big-data-meets-official-statistics-live-webcast