Research and Development, Human Resources in Science and Technology and Innovation
The current programme of the UIS includes:
• Collection and publication of data and metadata on research and development (R&D) and innovation from all countries in the world in co-ordination with OECD, Eurostat and RICYT (Latin American network on S&T indicators).
• Pilot data collection on innovation conducted in about 20 developing countries.
• Development of an inventory of innovation surveys carried out worldwide.
• Production of guidelines on how to conduct R&D surveys in developing countries.
• Promotion of a model survey on the careers of doctorate holders in a joint project with OECD and Eurostat.
• Publications of results of the R&D and innovation data collections.
• Training workshops on STI statistics.
Ongoing methodological work
• Prepare guidelines on how to conduct R&D surveys in developing countries, including the development of a model questionnaire.
• Review methodological issues in the Commonwealth of Independent States on the production of R&D data according to Frascati Manual standards.
• Revise concepts used for S&T Education and Training (STET) and S&T Services (STS).
• Contribute to ongoing work on measuring innovation in agriculture, the informal sector and the public sector.
Priority objectives beyond 2013
• 2014 UIS R&D survey.
• Establish global data collection on innovation conducted on a biennial basis (starting in 2013).
• Capacity-building activities.
• Methodological guidance for developing countries on the collection of R&D and innovation data.
• Analysis of STI indicators.
New work to be undertaken in 2013
• Global data collection on innovation.
• Publication on Higher Education and STI in Asia.
• Dissemination of innovation inventory.
• Production of a statistical annex for the World Social Science Report 2013.
• Calculate and publish regional averages of R&D data.
Meetings to be organized in 2013
• Capacity building workshops in Africa, Asia and South-Eastern Europe, including national workshops in China, Peru and Viet Nam.