• Coordinate and promote work on integrated economic statistics.
• Coordinate and promote work on short term economic indicators that includes the development of handbooks such as:
• Business cycle composite indicators;
• Rapid estimates;
• Tendency surveys;
• Statistical guide for the short term indicator data template and metadata structure.
2.2 Economic accounts (UN Statistics Division)
• Contributes as a member of the Inter-Secretariat Working Group on National Accounts (ISWGNA) to the international coordination, development and updating of the System of National Accounts (SNA), the internationally accepted statistical standard of the national accounts. The System of National Accounts 2008 (2008 SNA) is the latest version of the SNA.
• Serves as the Secretariat to the ISWGNA by providing logistical and administrative support to the research and implementation programme of the ISWGNA and the Advisory Expert Group on National Accounts (AEG).
• Administers and maintains the website of the ISWGNA, which provides a platform for coordination and monitoring of the research and implementation programme for the SNA. It provides links to the work programmes of the ISWGNA members and the Regional Commissions and the progress on the research agenda of the SNA including the activities of the AEG. The website is available at: http://unstats.un.org/unsd/nationalaccount/default.asp.
• Drafts, publishes and disseminates the bi-annual ISWGNA newsletter "SNA News and Notes" in cooperation with the members of the ISWGNA. The newsletter contains information on developments in research issues relevant for the SNA and related international standards; clarifications, interpretations and changes in the SNA; country experiences in the SNA implementation as well as publications, meetings and seminars and other relevant information.
• Drafts in collaboration with the ISWGNA members, the annual ISWGNA report to the Statistical Commission which sets out the strategy and status of progress of statistical programme for the SNA in part based on country assessments of their scope and detail of implementation of the accounts of the SNA and their conceptual compliance with the SNA recommendations.
• Undertakes methodological research on issues on the international research agenda for the SNA in collaboration with the ISWGNA with a present priority on FISIM, globalisation-related issues, the recording of investment income of pension funds and investment funds, stability fees, measurement of land and non-financial assets and pension liabilities.
• Supports the implementation programme of the 2008 SNA by developing and updating supporting normative standards, training material and compilation guidance for the implementation of national accounts and supporting economic statistics.
• Delivers a statistical capacity building programme for the implementation of the 2008 SNA and supporting statistics through a series of regional and interregional workshops and seminar in collaboration with the Regional Commissions and regional agencies and through a limited number of individual country technical assistance missions.
• Collects and disseminates official annual national accounts statistics from countries and publishes them in the National Accounts Statistics: Main Aggregates and Detailed Tables. The data are also available electronically through the UNdata website at http://data.un.org/.
• Prepares national accounts estimates to complement the official national accounts statistics from countries to obtain consistent and complete time series and publishes them in the National Accounts Statistics: Analysis of Main Aggregates.
• Maintains the National Accounts Main Aggregates Database which contains a complete and consistent set of time series from 1970 onwards of main national accounts aggregates and derived analytical indicators and ratios for more than 200 countries and territories. These data are available on the web at http://unstats.un.org/unsd/snaama/Introduction.asp.
• Provides services to the Committee for Contributions of the United Nations through research on the methodology of the scale of assessment (i.e. contributions to the United Nations by Member States), and the actual calculation of the scale of assessment. This also includes the provision of services to the Fifth Committee of the General Assembly of the United Nations in respect to the scale of assessment.
New methodological work
• Prepare a national accounts handbook on Financial production, flows and stock in the SNA.
• Develops guidelines on the requirements for the statistical production process of economic statistics and short term economic indicators to facilitate the implementation of the 2008 SNA.
• Coordinate work to develop a handbook on input-output tables.
2.3 Business statistics (UN Statistics Division)
• UNSD continues the collection, processing and dissemination of global industrial commodity production statistics and maintains the industrial commodity statistics database containing data for about 200 countries and areas and more than 600 commodities. Production data is being provided in physical quantities and monetary values.
• UNSD continues compilation and dissemination of Index Numbers of Industrial Production for countries, geographic regions and the world;
• Industrial statistics are published in UNSD's Industrial Commodity Statistics Yearbook, in the UN Statistical Yearbook and in the Monthly Bulletin of Statistics. Industrial Commodity Statistics datasets and the General Industrial Statistics Dataset are available in electronic format.
New activities for 2013
• Further development of the industry statistics web-site, especially with respect to short-term indicators.
• Conduct of regional workshops on manufacturing statistics.
• UNSD will conduct a global assessment of the maintenance and use of Business Registers.
2.4 Sectoral statistics (UN Statistics Division)
2.4.2 Energy (UN Statistics Division)
• UNSD continues to maintain the most comprehensive database of worldwide annual energy statistics (production, trade, stock changes, bunkers and consumption) covering more than 200 countries and areas and time series from 1950.
• UNSD continues to publish the Energy Statistics Yearbook and the Energy Balances and Electricity Profiles on an annual basis.
• UNSD continues to collect monthly oil and gas statistics through the JODI questionnaire together with the JODI partner organizations.
• UNSD continues its work on the advancement of methods concepts and definitions in energy statistics together with the Oslo Group on Energy Statistics and the Intersecretariat Working Group on Energy Statistics (InterEnerStat).
• UNSD continues to provide technical assistance to countries in the implementation of IRES through the organizations of training workshops.
Activities for 2013
• Preparation of the Energy Statistics Compilers Manual (ESCM), which provides practical guidance in the implementation of IRES, in close cooperation with the Oslo Group on Energy Statistics.
• Ongoing collection and dissemination of country practices in energy statistics.
• Organization of training workshops for developing countries.
• Revision of the UNSD Annual Energy Statistics Questionnaire to align it with the recommendations provided in IRES and harmonize it, to the extent possible, with the annual questionnaire of IEA/Eurostat/ECE.
• Update the UN Energy Statistics Database, including collection, processing and dissemination arrangements for both data and metadata according to the recommendations provided in IRES and in accordance with the revised questionnaire.
• Preparation of the JODI Gas Manual in support of the JODI monthly gas data collection.
• Further development of the energy statistics web-site.
2.4.4 Transport (UN Statistics Division)
• Compilation of statistical series on international maritime transport and registration of new motor vehicles for dissemination in the Monthly Bulletin of Statistics (MBS) and the MBS Online; compilation of statistical series on civil aviation for dissemination in the UN Statistical Yearbook.
2.6 International trade and balance of payments (UN Statistics Division)
International Merchandise Trade
• Major upgrade of the UN Comtrade database, including the integration of monthly data.
• Developing an overarching framework for international trade statistics and economic globalization.
• Linking trade and business statistics, integrating trade in goods and services and improving institutional arrangements at national level
• Capacity development activities for the improvement of compilation practices and implementation of the new international recommendations (IMTS 2010).
• Maintenance of UN COMTRADE to provide high quality data and efficient public, governmental and international agency access.
• Production of analytical outputs, such as the Trade Statistics Yearbook.
• Coordination of international statistical work in the field of trade statistics (in co-operation with EUROSTAT, OECD, UNCTAD, FAO, WTO, WCO, the UN Regional Commissions and other international and regional organizations).
International Trade in services
• Development of the Compilers Guide for the Manual on Statistics of International Trade in Services 2010.
• Further development of the UN database on international trade in services (UN ServiceTrade).
• Developing an overarching framework for international trade statistics and economic globalization
Ongoing and new activities
• Conducting meetings of EG-CSITS for the development of the Compilers Guide for MSITS 2010.
• Contribute to the drafting of the compilation guide for IRTS 2008.
• Capacity development activities for the improvement of compilation practices and implementation of the new international recommendations (MSITS 2010).
• Continuation of data collection activities on a worldwide basis in cooperation with other involved international organizations.
• Supporting the work of the Task Force on Statistics of International Trade in Services, including publishing the Newsletter of the Task Force on Statistics of International Trade in Services and maintaining its website.