The following wiki pages relate to the Generic Statistical Information Model (GSIM).
GSIM is currently in a very early stage of planning and definition.
These wiki pages are intended to share draft working information (once an appropriate level of consensus on the draft content has been reached within the team) related to the development and definition of GSIM.
One purpose is to keep colleagues within the METIS community informed in regard to ideas, plans and progress.
In many cases, also, working material posted to this wiki will be accompanied by a specific invitation for colleagues to review the draft content and to provide any suggestions they may have in regard to the existing content and/or in regard to content which should be added. Even if there are cases where such an invitation is not explicit, comments and suggestions are welcomed - and encouraged - in regard to any of the content posted here.
Status of content accessible via these pages
As indicated above, these pages are intended to share and discuss draft working information and ideas with colleagues within the broader METIS community. Unless unambiguously indicated otherwise, no content accessed via these wiki pages should be considered to represent a formal statement on behalf of
- the OCMIMF (Operationalize a Common Metadata/Information Management Framework) collaboration team within the Statistical Network, or
- the Statistical Network itself, or
- individual NSIs associated with the Statistical Network
GSIM Common Reference Model draft V0.1 released for comment
Draft V0.1 was available for comment from 20 June to 1 July 2011.
What is the background to GSIM? http://www1.unece.org/stat/platform/display/metis/Background+to+GSIM
A set of draft working notes are available which summarise background information related to this initiative.
These working notes cover
- the background to GSIM
- the expected relationship between GSIM and standards such as SDMX and DDI-L
- the context of GSIM as an initial major output which enables operationalization of a common statistical information management framework
- other key collaborative forums and initiatives which are recognised as having a critical role in reviewing and shaping definition of GSIM
- current broad thinking about the structure of GSIM, including
- the Common Reference Model (CRM) Layer (which is analogous in nature to GSBPM), and
- the Semantic Reference Model (SRM) Layer (an additional level of formalisation and detail that is required in order to support consistent operationalization)
- currently planned points for engagement with the broader community of producers of official statistics to seek their input in co-ordinating and shaping the approach to GSIM
Methods for providing comments and other feedback
If you already have an account for the METIS wiki, or arrange to obtain one, one option is for you to provide additional information and/or comments via the GSIM Brainstorming page.
If you do not yet have an account, please request one from firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alternatively, feedback can be provided to Chi Nguyen, the project manager for the OCMIMF collaboration and/or Alistair Hamilton, a content specialist supporting Chi in regard to GSIM.
Contact details are