The Wiesbaden Group on Business Registers is a UN city group and the successor of the International Roundtable on Business Survey Frames (IRTBSF). The purpose of the Group is to provide a forum for the exchange of views and experiences on business registers. The Group also conducts joint work on the development, maintenance and use of business registers with the aim to support a more integrated approach to business statistics, survey sampling and other statistical measures related to the production of business statistics.
The focus of work of the Wiesbaden Group is determined by a Steering Group, composed both by National Statistical Institutes and international organisations. Current members of the group are Eurostat, France, Germany, OECD, UNECE, United Kingdom, United States (U.S. Census Bureau, U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics). The Steering Group has the following functions:
• Promotes global, integrated, statistical system design in countries and international organizations;
• Ensures the pertinence of Wiesbaden Group meeting agendas and coordination with meetings on related topics;
• Promotes the exchange of experiences between producers and users in developing Business Registers to support economic statistics, enterprise profiling, the treatment of enterprise groups, business demography statistics design, entrepreneurship indicators, etc;
• Advertises the output of the Wiesbaden Group in other international and national fora and seeks feedback;
• Actively engages the UN Statistical Commission, Conference of European Statisticians (CES), Committee on Statistics of OECD (CSTAT), and other senior management forums and seeks their inputs regarding future activities.
Ongoing methodological work
During 2011 annual progress reports were collected from 27 countries. The individual progress reports and a summary are posted on the EU Communication and Information Resource Centre website: http://circa.europa.eu/Public/irc/dsis/businessurvey/library.
New work to be undertaken in 2012
The group supported the creation of a Task Force to develop International Guidelines on Statistical Business Registers. The Task Force reports to the Conference of European Statisticians. Drafts of the report will be circulated and discussed at the 2012 Wiesbaden Group meeting.
Meetings to be organized in 2012
The 23rd meeting of the Wiesbaden Group will be hosted by the U.S. Census Bureau and U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, September 17-20 and will be held in Washington D.C. Planning meetings will be held with the steering committee as needed. The frequency of meetings is set to every two years - alternating with the joint UNECE/OECD/Eurostat seminar on business registers.
If you have any questions please contact Eddie Salyers, U.S. Census Bureau (Email Eddie.Joe.Salyers@Census.GOV (mailto: Eddie.Joe.Salyers@Census.GOV), Telephone: (301) 763-2638).