2.6 International trade and balance of payments (ITF on International Trade in Services)
Trade in Services
• The revised Manual on Statistics of International Trade in Services (MSITS), which was adopted by the United Nations Statistical Committee in February 2010 was released in its electronic format early 2011. It is published by seven agencies. Work on compilation guidance to the MSITS, will be the first priority of the TFSITS in 2012, for that purpose an expert group on the compilation of SITS (EG-CSITS) will be created to assist in this process and countries be invited to make experts available.
• The Task Force (TFSITS), convened by OECD, coordinates technical cooperation efforts between agencies to aid countries' implementation of the MSITS's recommendations. The Task Force has developed a free training module on trade in services coordinated by the World Trade Organization and with the World Bank.
• Data collection is coordinated by the agencies to avoid duplication of effort e.g. through standard questionnaires and codes for reporting the data, and data sharing.
• A UNSD web page, with a Newsletter, provides a central reference point for information about MSITS, the work of the TFSITS, seminars and other new developments. (http://unstats.un.org/unsd/tradeserv/default.asp). This provides links to the other Organisations web pages on trade in services. OECD and UNSD have established email hotlines (respectively email@example.com (mailto: firstname.lastname@example.org) and email@example.com (mailto: firstname.lastname@example.org)) for inquiries about the work on trade in services.
• The next biannual meeting of the Task Force on Statistics of International Trade in Services will take place on the 27th March 2012 in New York, followed by a 3 days meeting of the expert group on the compilation of SITS. The second meeting for 2012 is scheduled for the 25th of October, following the OECD Working Party on Trade in Goods and Services (WPTGS) which is scheduled for the 22nd to the 24th of October in Paris.