Research and Development, Human Resources in Science and Technology and Innovation
The current programme of the UIS includes:
• Collection and publication of data on research and development (R&D) from all countries in the world in co-ordination with the OECD, Eurostat and RICYT;
• A pilot collection of innovation data from about 15 developing countries;
• Development of guidelines on how to conduct R&D surveys in developing countries;
• Promotion of a model survey of doctorate holders in a joint project with OECD and Eurostat;
• Publications on international mobility among researchers and the results of the 2010 R&D data collection.
Ongoing methodological work
• Preparation of guidelines on how to conduct R&D surveys in developing countries, including the development of a model questionnaire, and the revision of concepts used for S&T Education and Training (STET) and S&T Services (STS).
Priority objectives beyond 2011:
• Continuation of the biennial UIS R&D survey;
• Establishment of a global collection of innovation data conducted on a biennial basis;
• Continuation of capacity building activities;
• Methodological guidance for developing countries on the collection of R&D and innovation data;
• Analysis of STI indicators.
New work to be undertaken in 2011:
• Pilot collection of innovation data;
• Publications on international mobility of researchers and the results of the 2010 R&D data collection;
• Processing and disseminating R&D metadata;
• Developing a model innovation survey in cooperation with RICYT.
Meetings to be organized in 2011:
• Capacity building workshops in Africa, Asia and the Caribbean;
• Expert Meeting on innovation surveys in Montreal.