• The Work Programmes of the Interstate Statistical Committee of the CIS are the main document organizing its activities in the forthcoming year and for three years perspective (the Work Programme of CIS-STAT for 2011 and for the period 2009-2011).
• The structure of the mentioned Work Programmes covers the following kinds of activities: methodological work, economic work, exchange of experience and training of the personnel of national statistical services of the CIS, information and publishing activities, dissemination of information and information and reference services, improvement of computer technology, cooperation with international organizations.
• Considerable part of works included in the programmes is connected with methodological, analytical and information and publishing activities and submission of necessary information to interstate bodies of the CIS, government and economic bodies of the Commonwealth, international organizations, mass media and other users. These programmes include, high priority work on the forecast of production, imports, exports and "visible consumption" of selected kinds of products in the countries of the Commonwealth for 2011 in the conditions of the free trade zone (jointly with the Executive Committee of the CIS).
The Work Programme for 2010 envisaged is a number of works connected with a new direction of CIS-STAT's work - forecast estimates:
1) Improvement of the methodology of forecasting the growth rates of the main macroeconomic indicators on the basis of new approaches in the field of forecasting used in the world practice.
2) Maintenance of the database for forecast estimates of the main macroeconomic indicators growth rates by CIS countries.
3) Preparation of analytic papers on the following themes:
• Actual trends of GDP and consumer prices growth in 2009 in the Commonwealth countries in comparison with the forecast trends;
• Review of the main world trends (including CIS countries) in 2010 and nearest perspectives of development;
• Forecast estimates of GDP and consumer prices growth as an average for the world and most important regional amalgamations of the countries of the world (including CIS countries) for 2011;
• Forecast estimates of the growth rates of main macroeconomic indicators of the CIS countries for the period 2011-2012;
• On the perspectives of the development of CIS countries in the nearest years against the world trends.
4) Collection of information for CIS countries on the forecasts of the
main indicators for the period 2011-2012, programmes of the development of economy in middle and long-term perspectives prepared by governmental bodies of the countries (ministries of economy, finances, central banks, etc.) and their adjustments during 2011 (from Internet and other sources).
5) Collection of analytic and statistical materials of the UN, IMF, the World Bank, Asian Development Bank, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, OECD, Eurostat and other international organizations on the trends of the development of the economy of the world, regional amalgamations and selected countries of the world, on general perspectives of their development for the coming years, on forecasts of growth rates of the main macroeconomic indicators of the countries of the world (including CIS countries) for the period 2011-2012 and on their adjustments during 2011 (from Internet and other sources).
In pursuance of the decision of the Council of the Heads of States of the CIS of November 28, 2006 the CIS countries carry out active work aimed at successful conduct of the new round of population censuses to execute the World Programme of 2010 Population and Housing Censuses.
In 2011 it is envisaged to organize a regular meeting of the Coordination Council on Population Censuses, at which the representatives of national statistical services will discuss brief results of the censuses conduct, as well as methodological recommendations on statistical study of socio demographic aspects connected with ageing of population (on the basis of the data of current statistics and population censuses).
5.5 Technological resources (including standards for electronic data exchange and data sharing) (CIS-STAT)
Electronic exchange of statistical information
• Collection and processing of monthly, quarterly and yearly statistical data, supplied to CIS-STAT by Commonwealth countries' national statistical services, is carried out in accordance with the coordinated schedule by electronic mail over the Internet in the form of standardized questionnaires incorporating 220 Excel-format tables.
• Verification of the coming information including its comparison on the sites of the national statistical services; collection of missing information from the sites of statistical services of the foreign countries, including the sites of international statistical organizations.
In 2011 work will continue on improving the electronic exchange of statistical information with national statistical services and international organizations.
5.6 Co-ordination of international statistical work (CIS-STAT)
Rest of the World-CIS Coordination
• Coordinating statistical work and aligning and harmonizing statistical tools with international standards in the areas of the System of National Accounts and economic, demographic and social statistics, and improving methods of processing information from Commonwealth member States.
Materials in preparation are discussed by the CIS-STAT Scientific Council, task forces and ad hoc meetings. The most important are discussed by the Council of Heads of Statistical Services of the CIS. Once finalized, they are circulated as recommendations to national statistical services.