Theme 6.10 - Statistical research and methodology
Fields of activities covered by the theme
• Promote research in Official Statistics;
• Facilitate methodological collaboration, networking and competence building;
• Ensure co-ordination of methodological works in the ESS (including ESSnets' monitoring);
• Support standardisation process in the ESS;
• Embed methodology in Vision implementation processes;
• Encourage methodological development: design and test of specific methods and supporting tools;
• Ensure methodological support to production process.
The challenges posed by the enforcement of the Joint ESS Strategy demand substantial gains in productivity and major achievements in terms of process integration that only heavy investment in methodological developments could permit. This is much depending on the adequate use of the results of ongoing research in official statistics and on properly articulating main NSI needs as regards Official Statistics in future strategic research frameworks. It also pre-supposes to evenly address all aspects of the integration process: As regards horizontal integration, the co-ordination of methodological developments should create conditions to identify, test and use cross-cut methodologies. Vertical integration would require substantial efforts in process standardisation throughout ESS. The overall sustainability of this continuous improvement process would be liable to two extreme conditions: the (upstream) transformation of new knowledge into new methods and techniques and the (down-stream) support to production steps in the absorption of the methodological developments (innovations), both at Eurostat and ESS level.
1. Work to be carried out by Eurostat in
1.1 NEW WORK, INCLUDING NEW PLANNED LEGISLATION
• Contribution to ESSnet projects, ESS collaborative development of key methodologies for Vision implementation and improving efficiency of statistical production.
1.2 ONGOING WORK
• Support standardisation process in the ESS: integration of EU production processes (ESS and Eurostat) including Sponsorship on Standardisation.
• Contribution to improved production processes.
• Software design, testing and development for implementing ESS methodological guidelines and testing.
• Promote, emulate research in official statistics.
• Research and ESSnet results dissemination, support collaboration among researchers and with official statisticians, using web portals (e.g. Cros) and training/further education means (LDF), developing and consolidating Web 2.0 mechanisms for collaboration.
• Strategic guidance for ESS/Estat integration of methodological work.
• Developing handbook for Modern Business Statistics - Methodological development in new areas.