The role of the HLG-MOS is formalised in its Terms of Reference. A broad vision and a strategy for implementing that vision have been formulated and agreed by the Conference Of European Statisticians, and shape the group's work.
The objectives of the HLG-MOS are:
- To promote common standards, models, tools and methods to support the modernisation of official statistics;
- To drive new developments in the production, organisation and products of official statistics, ensuring effective coordination and information sharing within official statistics, and with relevant external bodies;
- To advise the Bureau of the CES on the direction of strategic developments in the modernisation of official statistics, and ensure that there is a maximum of convergence and coordination within the statistical "industry".
These objectives are met in a number of ways:
- annual expert group workshops bringing together representatives from relevant groups, to collectively identify priorities and plan strategies while avoiding duplication or conflicting outcomes
- year-long projects which focus on priorities identified by the workshops, using participatory techniques to find rapid and collectively-developed solutions to the challenges of statistical modernisation
Links to past and current projects can be found on the left of this page, and links to the four Modernisation Committees are on the right (note that while much of the material is public, some areas of ongoing work are restricted to the teams involved).