Message-ID: <1043223740.11051.1469316074066.JavaMail.confluence@ece-vmapps> Subject: Exported From Confluence MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="----=_Part_11050_824837875.1469316074066" ------=_Part_11050_824837875.1469316074066 Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Location: file:///C:/exported.html
2.4 Sectoral statistics (IEA)
2.4.2 Energy (IEA)
Activities of OECD-IEA
1) Improving the quality of energy statistics necessitates both a top do= wn approach and bottom up approach. As regards the top down approach, it is= essential that policy makers are fully aware of the importance of reliable= and detailed energy statistics for any sound energy policy. The IEA takes = every single opportunity to address the needs for better statistics and mor= e resources allocated to statistics. For instance, in October 2011, the IEA= held its bilateral Ministerial Meeting, and again, statistics was one of t= he key points discussed in the meeting. Ministers explicitly stated the imp= ortance of detailed and reliable statistics for any sound energy policy.=20
2) As regards the bottom up approach and the need to improve the experti=
se of statisticians working on energy statistics, Eurostat and the IEA cont=
inue to extend the coverage and the outreach of their joint Energy Statisti=
cs Manual. On top of the 9 existing languages, the Manual has been translat=
ed in Indonesian in 2011.
The IEA continued to produce an annual Repo= rting Card to assess the performance of OECD Member countries regarding the= submission of their Annual Questionnaires. This has proven to be a very ef= fective way of giving a feedback to the countries highlighting issues and s= trong points.
3) IEA together with the other 6 organisations behind the JODI initiativ=
e held the 8th World JODI Conference in October 2011. The Conference took p=
lace in Beijing (China) and was very well attended by countries, organizati=
ons as well as by oil companies and oil analysts. This conference confirmed=
the turning point observed 2 years ago in Quito in the development of the =
initiative the emphasize was again more on the users side than on issues re=
lated to data collecting. Analysts were telling the participants how they l=
ike the JODI database and their wish list for further expanding the quality=
and the coverage.
However there is a need to fix the database once f= or all and to eliminate obvious anomalies and to encourage all countries to= be as transparent as possible. Progress should be assessed at the next IEF= Summit in Kuwait in March 2012.
4) InterEnerStat which gathers 25 organisations either collecting or usi=
ng energy statistics has contributed to a global agreement on the definitio=
ns of all energy products and flows. In February 2011, the UN Statistics Co=
mmission approved the list of definitions of energy flows and products prep=
ared by InterEnerStat.
After the harmonization of definitions, the ne= xt step should be the harmonization of questionnaires between organizations= in order to limit the burden passed to countries through multi reporting. = Currently four organizations, namely Eurostat, IEA, UNECE and APEC, use the= same questionnaires to collect their annual statistics. The objective is t= o have, at least, UN to join the group organizations using the same questio= nnaires (or a compatible one).
5) Energy efficiency continues to be high on the political agenda. At th=
e IEA Ministerial Meeting in October 2011, the IEA launched the 2011 editio=
n of the IEA Scoreboard. This year's edition is dedicated to energy efficie=
ncy and uses for a large part the statistics collected for the first year i=
n 2010-2011 through a new questionnaire on statistics for energy efficiency=
The IEA is currently working on a new Manual on statisti= cs for energy efficiency indicators which should be available in 2012. The = Manual will include a compilation of good and best practices from many coun= tries around the world on what data to collect for what indicators. The pra= ctices will cover surveys, modeling, metering and administrative sources fo= r four sectors: industry, services, transport and households.
6) To ease the reporting burden passed to its Member countries, the IEA = has developed a very friendly web interface for the submission of the annua= l questionnaires to the IEA. After the success of the use of this interface= for annual questionnaires, the IEA has now extended the interface to month= ly reporting. Almost all OECD countries now use this interface for reportin= g both monthly and annual questionnaires.=20
7) In 2011, the IEA has launched a Training and Capacity Building progra= mme which covers a wide spectrum of fields from statistics to modeling and = policy. Energy statistics is the main field of activities with 2 weeks of t= raining each year: one in March and one in October. For the first year of i= mplementation of the programme, the IEA received 80 applications in March a= nd 120 in October for only 30 seats available. This shows the need for trai= ning on energy statistics worldwide.=20
8) After the successful Energy Statistics Working Group meeting held at = the end of 2010, the IEA together with Eurostat have started to implement t= he changes to the questionnaires proposed at the meeting and agreed by the = participants and later on by the European countries in their June 2011 meet= ing in Luxembourg.=20
Priority objectives for the methodological work to be taken in t= he next two years=20
1) JODI: Extension of JODI to natural gas and selected annual data. This= was due for 2011 but although some organisations have started collecting m= onthly gas statistics, the JODI gas initiative should officially be launche= d in 2012.=20
2) InterEnerStat: After the harmonization of the definitions, the next s= tep for the InterEnerStat initiative should be the harmonization of the que= stionnaires between organizations.=20
3) Energy Efficiency Indicators: The IEA will finalise its manual on sta= tistics for energy efficiency indicators: what indicators, to build, what d= ata are needed, how to collect the data, etc.=20
4) The IEA will be working on an SDMX format to allow countries to repor= t their questionnaires or for data users to access IEA statistics .=20
5) The IEA will improve the access to its energy statistics through a re= design of its web page. The new page should allow to find more quickly the = data they look for with fewer clicks.=20
6) The IEA and Eurostat will finalise the implementation of the changes =
to the joint IEA/Eurostat/UNECE questionnaires for being operational for th=
e 2012 data.
The 7th meeting of the Oslo Group (UNSD)=20
Description: Oslo City Group 7 co-organised by F= inland, UNSD and the Oslo City Group Secretariat. The IEA, being the Chair = of the InterEnerStat initiative, take an active role in the workshop.
= Date: Fall 2012
The 5th InterEnerStat Meeting=20
Description: After the harmonization of the defini= tions of energy products and flows, the IEA intends to organize the next me= eting of the InterEnerStat partner organizations to focus on harmonization = of training material and training session.
Dates to be decided (end o= f 2012)
A JODI conference on natural gas=20
Description: To launch the extension of the JODI i= nitiative to natural gas, the IEF Secretariat together with the other 6 JOD= I organizations will organize a world conference on JODI gas.
Date: F= ebruary 2012
A workshop on energy efficiency indicators=20
Description: As a follow up to the first year of c= ollecting statistics through the energy efficiency template and before the = launch of the manual on how to collect statistics for energy efficiency ind= icators, the IEA will organize a workshop on the three dimensions of energy= efficiency indicators: statistics, analysis and policy making.
Date:= Mid March 2012
The IEA will conduct two training sessions on ener= gy: one in March 2012 and one in October 2012. The sessions are opened to a= ll countries world wide. Information can be found on the IEA website on the= training page.
Dates: March 2012 and October 2012.