METIS

Quick links

GSBPM

Common Metadata Framework

Metadata Case Studies

GSIM

 All METIS pages (click arrow to expand)
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

15) 14 September 2010

Present: Alice Born, Dan Gillman, Jana Meliskova, Steve Vale

The remaining tasks are to:

  • Finalise the resource mapping diagrams (Sergio and Steve)
  • Produce the final report of the Task Force (Jana). This report will be based on the paper Jana presented at the METIS 2010 Work Session, with additional material on the mapping diagrams and how they were produced, proposals for future maintenace, and a reference to Sergio's paper from the ESSNet project on SDMX. A draft will be circulated to the Task Force for comments.

It was also agreed to move the contents of the "Other Resources" page to the main index page, to give the links to these resources more prominence.

There does not appear to be a need for further teleconferences of this Task Force, the remaining matters can be dealt with via e-mail and the METIS Wiki.

On behalf of the UNECE Secretariat, Steve thanked the members of the Task Force, past and present, for their valuable inputs to this useful piece of work.

14) 29 June 2010

Present: Sergio Bacelar, Alice Born, Dan Gillman, Jana Meliskova, Steve Vale

Sergio presented versions of the resource mapping diagram that showed links between the resources in a particular category. I was agreed that the mapping diagrams would be produced at 3 levels:

  • One diagram showing the relationships between all resources
  • Four diagrams showing the relationships bwtween resources within categories
  • A diagram for each resource showing the relationships between that resource and other resources

Sergio will produce the diagrams as PDF files, Steve will try to find a way to add hyperlinks, so that clicking on a box representing a resource in a diagram will lead to the description of that resource.

The Task Force decided not to attempt to map the resources to the different phases of the GSBPM as many resources are relevant throughout the statistical production process. Instead it was agreed that Steve should enhance the text in the GSBPM resource description to cover this relationship between the GSBPM and other resources.

The Task Force agreed that when the relationship diagrams are finalised, the Task Force should produce a final report to the METIS Steering Group, and should stop its activities. Part B of the Common Metadata Framework (CMF) will then be managed in the same way as the rest of that framework, though the Steering Group will need to define an overall maintenance and development strategy for the CMF as a whole.  

Steve informed the Task Force about the status of work on the proposed Global Inventory of Statistical Standards, where UNECE are leading a small group of international organisations producing an issues paper for a meeting of the Committee for the Coordination of Statistical Activities in early September. The current proposal draws on the experiences and work of this Task Force, including the resource description template. There may be a role for the METIS Steering Group within this project in future. Steve will provide further updates as this work progresses.  

The next teleconference is provisionally scheduled for Tuesday 14th September, at 14.30 CET, 13.30 Lisbon, 08.30 Ottawa / Washington. This will be confirmed nearer the time.

13) 11 May 2010

Present: Sergio Bacelar, Max Booleman, Dan Gillman, Jana Meliskova, Steve Vale

The main topic of discussion was the diagram of relationships between resources. It was agreed that the full diagram is useful and should be retained, but that smaller, simpler diagrams containing just a subset of resources might also be helpful. One possibility is to create separate sub-sets of the diagram focusing on the links to and from a specific resource. This could then be added to the resource description. Another option is to have a version of the diagram focusing just on the more formal relationships between the main standards. This would probably just include the relationships "conforms to" and "complies with", though the definitions of these relationships needs a little more work. A final option is to have a version of the diagram where families of resources are compressed into one box (e.g. the SDMX standards), though this would need to be done carefully to ensure that the links between the consolidated resource and other resources remain valid.

The possibility of mapping the resources to the GSBPM was discussed. This could be done in the form of a matrix of resources by phases of the GSBPM, perhaps indicating the main places in the GSBPM where a resource is relevant. This will be easier for some resources than others.

The Task Force members agreed to think about these issues with the aim of resolving them at the next teleconference. The links diagram should be validated by seeking feedback from a wider group in a written consultation when these points have been resolved.

The next teleconference will be on Tuesday 29 June at 14.30 CET, 13.30 Lisbon, 08.30 Ottawa / Washington.

12) 30 March 2010

Present: Sergio Bacelar, Max Booleman, Alice Born, Dan Gillman, Jana Meliskova, Steve Vale

The feedback on the work on Part B from the 2010 METIS meeting was positive and supported further work, particularly on the links between standards. A suggested addition to the list of resources is the "Portuguese Model", Sergio will discuss this with Isabel Morgado.

The Task Force decided that it should continue to develop Part B for a few more months. In that time, the work will focus on improving the descriptions of links between resources, and adding references to papers and other materials describing these links (e.g. Arofan Gregory's paper on SDMX/DDI links).

As a first step, Sergio and Dan will reflect further on the links diagram, and particularly the definition of the links "complies with" and "conforms to". It was agreed that "Contains" and "IsPartOf" have an inverse relationship, so may not both be needed. They will post a new diagram and new link definitions on the wiki for comments by the rest of the Task Force.

The next teleconference will be on Tuesday 11 May at 14.30 CET, 13.30 Lisbon, 08.30 Ottawa / Washington.

11) 8 February 2010

Present: Sergio Bacelar, Max Booleman, Alice Born, Dan Gillman, Jana Meliskova, Marco Pellegrino, Steve Vale

Steve has re-organised the Part B pages on the METIS Wiki, with the aim of making it easier for users to see the work of the Task Force. Comments on the new structure are welcome. 

The draft paper for the METIS Work Session was discussed. It was agreed to add text to paragraphs 2 / 3 to stress the "work in progress" nature of Part B. Paragraph 23 will be expanded to give more information on types of links, and examples of classifications will be added to the second bullet point in paragraph 24. Steve will format the paper and send it for final comments, before posting it on the METIS meeting site by the end of the week.

Sergio has updated the diagram showing the relationships between the resources described in Part B. Further enhancements were discussed, and Sergio will reflect these in a new version, which will be included in the METIS paper.

The next teleconference will be on Tuesday 30 March at 14.30 CET, 13.30 Lisbon, 08.30 Ottawa / Washington (all locations having passed to daylight saving time by that date), to discuss feedback from the METIS meeting.

10) 14 January 2010

Present: Sergio Bacelar, Alice Born, Dan Gillman, Jana Meliskova, Marco Pellegrino, Steve Vale

Apologies: Max Booleman

Sergio and Dan have produced a draft diagram showing the relationships between the resources described in Part B. Several enhancements were discussed, and Sergio / Dan will reflect these in a new version. Steve will contact Hakan Linden regarding the nature of the relationship between DQAF/SDDS and the Eurostat Standard for Quality Reporting.

New resource descriptions will be added for the Nordic Metamodel (Steve) and Statistical Variables / Characteristics (Alice). Steve will create pages for these with the blank template.

The value of the "Format" field was discussed, authors of resource descriptions should consider whether the information presented in this field can be included in the "References" field instead.

Steve will review all descriptions for consistency issues, and will add a section for other resources to the draft text page. This will be used for links to information on resources that are considered obsolete or of limited relevance in the international context.

The draft paper for the METIS Work Session was discussed. It was agreed to add an issue relating to the degree to which weaker links between resources should be documented. All members of the Task Force to review this paper, and add text, identify additional issues, and make corrections as necessary. The paper should be finalized immediately after the next teleconference.

The next teleconference will be on Monday 8 February at 14.30 CET, 13.30 Lisbon, 08.30 Ottawa / Washington.

9) 18 December 2009

Present: Sergio Bacelar, Max Booleman, Alice Born, Dan Gillman, Jana Meliskova, Marco Pellegrino, Steve Vale

The Task Force discussed progress on completing the resource descriptions. The two have not yet been started (Statistical units and GIS ISO 19115), will be completed by the end of the year. It was agreed that the text for SDMX and Neuchâtel Model should be expanded. Max will send Alice a better link for the Neuchâtel Model.

Possible additional descriptions were discussed. Steve will draft a description for the Nordic Metamodel, and links to the work done under the Metanet project could be added in a new "References" section.

The paper from the Task Force for the next METIS Work Session should be ready for dissemination by 5 February. Steve will prepare a draft based on the exising introduction and two examples of resource descriptions (SDMX cross-domain concepts and DDI).  

Sergio and Dan will do some more work on defining the relationships between resources. 

All to continue to review the content of the existing resource descriptions.

The next teleconference will be on Thursday 14 January at 16.00 CET, 15.00 Lisbon, 10.00 Ottawa / Washington.

8) 20 November 2009

Present: Sergio Bacelar, Max Booleman, Dan Gillman, Jana Meliskova, Marco Pellegrino, Steve Vale

Version 7 of the diagram was discussed. It was agreed to re-name box 2.7 "GIS Metadata". Several additional links were proposed, but it was agreed that these would make the diagram to complex for the introduction. A simple diagram without links will be used in the introduction, and a more complex diagram showing different categories of relationships between resources will be considered for a separate page in the wiki. This should be fully consistent with the text in the "Relationships to other standards" part of the resource descriptions. Dan and Sergio will try to categorize the different types of relationships.

The possible links and relationships to semantic web standards was discussed. It was agreed that this point should be discussed further in the next METIS Work Session before including any material in Part B.

Most resource descriptions are complete, at least as drafts. Steve will send a reminder to those responsible for the ones that are not yet started.

We can now start to review the content of the existing resource descriptions. It was agreed that factual and linguistic corrections can be made directly in the descriptions, but substantive changes to content should be proposed using the comment feature, for further discussion at future teleconferences.

The next teleconference will be on Friday 18 December at 14.30 CET, 13.30 Lisbon, 08.30 Ottawa / Washington.

7) 28 October 2009

Present: Sergio Bacelar, Max Booleman, Jana Meliskova, Marco Pellegrino, Steve Vale

General issues:

  • Max has received some material from the Metanet project, which might be useful when completing our resource descriptions. He will circulate this.
  • Sergio proposed to use standard wording for the "Valid" field. It was agreed to simply state "From [ date ]".
  • Version 6.0 of the diagram was discussed. It was agreed that it could be confusing to try to show all links between resources on this type of diagram. Sergio will try to produce a second diagram using different software to better show these links.
  • Boxes 1.7 (ESS Quality and Performance Indicators) and 1.8 (ESS Handbook for Quality Reports) will be merged and moved to column 3, as 3.6 (ESS Standard for Quality Reports (ESQR)). Boxes 4.1 and 4.2 will be swapped to allow a more logical ordering in column 4.

Resource-specific issues:

  • Minor changes to some resource titles, and corrections to available formats for some SDMX components were agreed.
  • 1.1 Statistical Classifications - It was agreed that in addition to the existing high-level text, we should try to add another layer describing some (less than ten) of the key international classifications, and mapping them to the statistical subject-matter domains. Steve will draft a list of the classifications to be covered. A similar additional layer may be needed for other resources, e.g. 1.2 Statistical units.
  • 2.7 GIS (ISO 19115) does not currently have an owner. Marco offered to find someone in Eurostat to prepare the text for this resource.

Next steps - There is currently text for around half of the resources to be described. It was agreed that we should aim to have text for all resources by the next teleconference, so that we can start to review them before the end of this year.

The next teleconference will be on Friday 20 November at 14.30 CET, 13.30 Lisbon, 08.30 Ottawa / Washington.

6) 25 September 2009

Present: Sergio Bacelar, Max Booleman, Alice Born, Dan Gillman, Jana Meliskova, Marco Pellegrino, Steve Vale

The Task Force discussed experiences and issues related to the resource descriptions drafted so far. Regarding the template, it was agreed to delete the "template author" field, as this could be misleading, and to add a field for the ISO standard number. Steve will make these changes.

When completing the template, if a field is not relevant (e.g. "ISO standard number" for a non-ISO standard) the text "not applicable" should be entered.

The text for "Statistical Data and Metadata Exchange" should focus on the technical standards rather than the initiative as a whole, and the description should explain the distinction between version 1.0, which is an ISO standard, and version 2.0, which is not (yet).

The next teleconference will be on Wednesday 28 October at 14.30 CET, 13.30 Lisbon, 09.30 Ottawa / Washington.

5) 27 August 2009

Present: Sergio Bacelar, Max Booleman, Alice Born, Dan Gillman, Steve Vale

Sergio presented the results of his work to map the template to Dublin Core and RDF terminology. It was agreed that we will focus on mapping to Dublin Core for the present, and consider RDF later, though we will try to ensure that the template will be easy to transfer to RDF in the future. It was also agreed that the template item headings will have two versions, one that is designed to be easily understood by humans, and one that follows Dublin Core standards.

The existing template was then modified accordingly, though it was agreed to defer a decision on how to incorporate the Dublin Core term "identifier" until we have more experience in using the template. It was also agreed that the two template metadata items "Template Author" and "Template last updated / validated" will not have Dublin Core equivalents (at least for now) as they refer to a different resource (the template itself, not the standard it is describing).

It was agreed that all members of the Task Force should try to complete the template for at least one of the standards they have chosen, so that we can discuss our experience of the use of the template, as well as any content issues at the next teleconference.

The next teleconference will be on Friday 25 September at 14.30 CET, 13.30 Lisbon, 08.30 Ottawa / Washington.

4) 27 July 2009

Present: Sergio Bacelar, Dan Gillman, Jana Meliskova, Marco Pellegrino, Steve Vale    

Version 4.0 of the diagram was agreed with two minor changes:

  • ISO numbers should be added for Dublin Core and SDMX (version 1.0);
  • Jana and Steve to consider whether the two METIS publications "Recommendations on Formats Relevant to the Downloading of Statistical Data from the Internet" and "Best Practices in Designing Websites for Dissemination of Statistics" should be included.  

The boxes "Statistical Classifications" and Statistical Units" were discussed, as these did not appear to point to a single resource. It was agreed to investigate the possibility of using the Eurostat Ramon server (http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/ramon/index.cfm?TargetUrl=DSP_PUB_WELC) as a single resource for classifications, and to consider developing a similar resource for units. Marco has now assumed some responsibility for the future development of Ramon, so would welcome feedback on how it could be improved. Dan will circulate a summary of a possible hierarchy of units proposed by Bo Sundgren, and Steve will compile a set of relevant definitions from the Metadata Common Vocabulary. It was agreed that units of measurement will not be included.

The first draft of the introduction was discussed. Dan will provide some comments on the drafting, and it was agreed to remove specific mentions of the Cristal model and the IMF data dissemination standards.

It was agreed that ideally the draft template for the descriptions of the boxes in the diagram should be both human and machine readable, in that it should follow or map to Dublin Core terminology, whilst still being easily understandable to non-expert readers. Sergio will try to develop this mapping. It was agreed that for "statistical classifications" and "statistical units", the template should be used to describe the resource linking to the objects rather than the objects themselves.

The templates will be completed by members of the Task Force, but external experts may be asked to review them if necessary. This means that each member of the Task Force should complete the template for 3-4 boxes in the diagram. Steve will post a list of the boxes on the wiki, so that Task Force members can put their names against the ones they want to be responsible for.

Next teleconference 27 August at 14.30 CET, 13.30 Lisbon, 08.30 Ottawa / Washington.

3) 26 June 2009

Present: Max Booleman, Alice Born, Sergio Bacelar, Dan Gillman, Jana Meliskova, Marco Pellegrino, Steve Vale    

Version 3.0 of the diagram was discussed. It was agreed to add boxes for Dublin Core and ISO 19115 (GIS) in the column "Technical standards", to add a box for the Generic Statistical Business Process Model (the description of which will point to Part C) under "Models and Standard Practices", and to create a fourth column "Methodological Guidelines and Recommendations", the contents of which will replace the box "Methodological materials relevant to statistical concepts".

Jana will start drafting some text on the scope of Part B, and will post this on the wiki for comments.

The draft template for "Statistical subject-matter domains was discussed. It was agreed to add a heading for "scope", to move the link for the item being described to "owner", and to merge the remainder of "Internet links" and "Background information" under the heading "References". It was also agreed that the headings used should more closely reflect the Dublin Core standard. Steve will re-draft the template on this basis.

Sergio proposed to consider using RDF (Resource description framework) standards, and will post a note on the wiki about this.

Next teleconference: 27 July, 14.30 CET, 13.30 Lisbon, 08.30 Ottawa / Washington  

  

2) 4 June 2009

Present: Max Booleman, Alice Born, Sergio Bacelar, Dan Gillman, Jana Meliskova, Marco Pellegrino, Steve Vale  

The modified version of the diagram (version 2.0) was discussed in detail. The following points were agreed:

  • The working title will be "Metadata Standards, Concepts and Models", this may be reviewed when the text of Part B has been drafted.
  • The introductory text should explain the choice of the three categories in the diagram and define the terms used in their titles
  • The boxes "international" and "national" will be removed. The text will have a "Scope" section to explain why national standards are not covered.
  • The category "Models" will be re-named "Models and Statistical Practices". There will inevitably be a degree of overlap between the three categories.
  • The boxes "UN", "EU" and "ILO" linked to "Statistical classifications" will be removed.
  • The box "Statistical units for BR" will be re-named "Statistical units"
  • The boxes for "SDMX version 1.0" and "SDMX version 2.0" will be merged
  • The box "IMF SDDS" will be re-named "Data Quality Assurance Framework (DQAF) / Special Data Dissemination Standard (SDDS)" and moved to the category "Models and Statistical Practices"
  • The box "CMR Central Metadata Repository" will be re-named "CMR Corporate Metadata Repository"
  • The box "CMR Central Metadata Repository" will be re-named "CMR Corporate Metadata Repository"
  • All abbreviations will be spelt out in full, and the title "Metadata registries" will be added for ISO/IEC 11179.

Dan and Steve will attempt rough drafts for the boxes on ISO/IEC 11179 and Statistical subject-matter domains respectively, using the template headings suggested by Max, for discussion at the next teleconference.

The next teleconference will be on 26 June at 14.30 CET, 13.30 Lisbon, 08.30 Ottawa / Washington 

    

1) 7 May 2009

Present: Max Booleman, Sergio Bacelar, Jana Meliskova, Marco Pellegrino, Steve Vale

The aim of the Task Force was agreed: To have a full draft of Part B for discussion at the METIS Work Session in 2010. It was agreed to work via the METIS wiki and teleconferences, which should be as frequent as needed, but at least monthly. Steve will set up wiki accounts for those that do not already have them. It was agreed that Part B needs to be a living resource rather than a one-off paper publication, so it will be written for the web, and will include links to other sites rather than duplicate existing material.

Regarding the contents of Part B, it was agreed to start with the diagram prepared by Jana, with certain modifications as agreed during the teleconference. This will define the scope (i.e. which standards we will cover), and will help us to categorize those standards. The category headings in the diagram will need some explanatory text, and the terminology for the draft title of part B should be used: Concepts, (technical) standards, models and registries. A description will be needed for each box in the diagram. This should be drafted by the person with the best knowledge of that item, and reviewed by the others. It would help if these descriptions follow a standard template. Steve will prepare a draft of this template. In some cases, external experts may be asked to contribute.

The New Zealand representative on the task force will now be Hamish James. The next teleconference will be in early June. Steve will circulate possible dates, and will choose the one on which most people are available.

  • No labels

1 Comment

  1. About "relationships to other standards"

    "A simple diagram without links will be used in the introduction, and a more complex diagram showing different categories of relationships between resources will be considered for a separate page in the wiki. This should be fully consistent with the text in the "Relationships to other standards" part of the resource descriptions. Dan and Sergio will try to categorize the different types of relationships."

     I tried to find some standard "semantic relations" in different vocabularies: Dubin Core, Skos, RDFS, OWL and use them as designations for relationships between metadata standards.

    A small example:

    "Statistical Classifications" isRelatedTo "classifications" that DCMI:conformsTo "standards/guidelines/goodpractices";

    "Statistical Subject-matter Domains" DCMI:isPartOf SDMX COG; isRelatedTo SDMX Technical; isBasedOn UNECE Classif.ISA

    "SDMX - Metadata Common Vocabulary" isPartOf of SDMX COG; or skos:broader SDMX COG

    SDMX - Cross-Domain Concepts" isPartOf "SDMX - Metadata Common Vocabulary" isPartOF SDMX COG (transitive relation);

    "Dublin Core" isPartOf "other metadata vocabularies and technical specifications".

    Some terms from standard vocabularies for semantic relations: skos:broader; skos:narrower; skos:related; rdfs:subpropertyOf; rdf:type; rdfs:subClassOf; rdfs:seeAlso; rdfs:isDefinedBy;

    DCMI: conformsTo; isPartOf; isReferencedBy; isRequiredBy; isVersionOf; replaces; requires.