The role of the HLG is formalised in its Terms of Reference. A broad vision and a strategy for implementing that vision have been formulated and agreed by the Conference Of European Statisticians, and now act as the mission statements shaping the HLG's work.
The objectives of the HLG are:
- To promote common standards, models, tools and methods to support the modernisation of official statistics;
- To drive new developments in the production, organisation and products of official statistics, ensuring effective coordination and information sharing within official statistics, and with relevant external bodies;
- To advise the Bureau of the CES on the direction of strategic developments in the modernisation of official statistics, and ensure that there is a maximum of convergence and coordination within the statistical "industry".
These objectives are met in a number of ways:
- annual expert group workshops bringing together representatives from as many relevant groups as possible, to collectively identify priorities and plan strategies while avoiding duplication or conflicting outcomes
- year-long projects which focus on one or two of the priorities identified by the workshops, that use participatory techniques to find rapid and collectively-developed solutions to the challenges of statistical modernisation
Links to past and current HLG projects can be found on the left of this page, and links to the four thematic Modernisation Committees are on the right of the page (note that while much of the material is open to public access, some areas of ongoing work are restricted to the teams involved).