This project is a collaborative approach to the new challenges of using Big Data sources for official statistics. It has three main objectives:
- To identify, examine and provide guidance for statistical organizations on the main strategic and methodological issues that Big Data poses for the official statistics industry
- To demonstrate the feasibility of efficient production of both novel products and ‘mainstream’ official statistics using Big Data sources, and the possibility to replicate these approaches across different national contexts
- To facilitate the sharing across organizations of knowledge, expertise, tools and methods for the production of statistics using Big Data sources.
The project is open to all national and international statistical organisations that want to contribute. It is complementary to other initiatives, including those of the European Statistical System, to avoid duplication of efforts. It also aims to be as relevant as possible to the specific needs and concerns of each contributing organisation.
For more information, please see the Project Proposal
Specific areas of work, allocated to task teams or other groups are:
A quality framework for Big Data
Managing privacy and data security
Developing partnerships with data suppliers, processors and users
Identifying and developing the skills needed to use Big Data
- Sharing information through an inventory of Big Data activities and projects
- A "Sandbox" to test ideas, tools and methods