2. Economic statistics (Voorburg Group)
2.3 Business statistics (Voorburg Group)
• The objective of the Voorburg Group is to establish an internationally comparable methodology for measuring the constant price outputs of the service industries. The focus of the Group is to develop concepts, methods and best practices in the area of services. The Group has contributed over the years to building up and sharing a considerable and growing body of knowledge on Service Sector statistics. It has promoted international cooperation in the development of standards and assisted in resolving statistical and measurement challenges in the Services Sector.
Ongoing Methodological Work Plan
• In the last few years, the Voorburg Group has adopted a more structured approach in terms of its work plan and proceedings, in order to produce more concrete deliverables. In acknowledging the parallel and equally important development of turnover (output measures), prices and classifications, the Group has made an explicit effort to better balance its agenda among these three major areas. This new orientation was initially reflected in the 2006 meeting agenda and has continued in 2008, 2009 and 2010, contributing to the great success of these meetings.
What was accomplished in 2010 and what is planned for 2011?
At the 2010 meeting, the following Industry/Industry Groups were selected for mini-presentations:
1. Accommodations and Food Services;
2. Distributive Trades;
3. Cleaning and Facilities Services;
4. Research and Development.
A special Mini-Presentation was also included on Reference Rates and Negative Prices for Banking and Credit.
For 2011, the following Industry/Industry Groups have been selected for mini-presentations:
1. Technical Testing;
2. Insurance/Other Financial Intermediation (Except Life Insurance);
3. Waste Management/Waste Treatment;
4. Maintenance and Repair of Motor Vehicles.
At the 2010 meeting, the following sectors were presented and adopted:
1. Rail Transportation - Passenger;
2. Rail Transportation - Freight;
3. Water Transportation.
At the 2011 meeting, the following 4 sector papers will be presented:
1. Banking and Credit: Reference Rates and Negative Prices;
2. Adjusting Quality Change (with emphasis on Airline Quality Change and Advertising);
3. Accommodation and Food Services;
4. Cleaning and Facilities Services.
Revisited Sector papers
The 2010 meeting revisited the following industry groups:
1. Legal Services;
2. Warehouse and Storage;
3. Courier Activities.
No revisited sector papers are planned for the 2011 meeting. However, an ambitious agenda has been proposed. The meeting will include sessions on cross-cutting topics, including Distributive Trades, Manufacturing Services, and Research and Development.
And, in addition to its work on the Mini-presentations and Sector Papers, the Group will continue to obtain and disseminate country report information on the industry/industry groups to be covered next year.
Looking Beyond 2011
Designation of possible Industries and Assignments for Voorburg Group 2012:
Maintenance and Repair Services, Except Maintenance and Repair of Motor Vehicles; Publishing Industries; and Utility Services, among possibly others.
Technical Testing, Insurance/Other Financial Intermediation (Except Life Insurance), Waste Management/Waste Treatment, and Maintenance and Repair of Motor Vehicles.
Meeting in 2011:
• The next annual meeting of the Voorburg group is tentatively scheduled for September 19th to 23rd , 2011 in Newport, U.K.
All the papers from the previous meetings of the Voorburg Group, going back to 1987, can be searched through our new website at: www.voorburggroup.org. This website has been redesigned and expanded to provide additional information.