1. Demographic and social statistics (UN Population Division)
1.1 Population and migration
Population and Migration Statistics
Analysis and studies:
• Information and analysis on population trends and policies;
• Population estimates and projections for all countries, geographical areas, urban and rural areas and major cities;
• Analytical work in the fields of fertility; contraceptive use; mortality including HIV/AIDS; internal migration; international migration; population growth and ageing; the interrelationship of population, resources, environment and development, including social and economic aspects; and studies on population and development policies related to the above;
• Implementation of 2009 Revision of the official United Nations estimates and projections of urban and rural areas and major cities.
• Implementation of the 2008 Revision of Trends in International Migrant Stock (estimates of the international migrant stock by country of residence and sex, 1960 -2010)
• Implementation of the 2008 Revision of International Migration Flows To and From Selected Countries (annual data on international migration flows to and from 29 industrialized countries)
• Dissemination of world-wide population information through the United Nations Population Division web site (www.unpopulation.org) and the United Nations Population Information Network (POPIN) (www.popin.org)
• Release of the 2009 Revision of World Urbanization Prospects in March 2010.
• Dissemination of data on the international migrant stock by country birth, citizenship, sex and age through the Global Migration Database (accessible through www.unmigration.org).
3. Environment and multi-domain statistics (UN Population Division)
3.3.2 Gender and special population groups
Gender analysis and gender factors are included in all studies in the field of population and development (See also Statistical Area 1.1).
3.3.5 Indicators related to the Millennium Development Goals
The Population Division is active participant in the Inter-agency and Expert Group on MDG Indicators (IAEG) and is responsible for the following MDG indicators under Target 5B: Contraceptive prevalence rate, Adolescent birth rate and Unmet need for family planning.
5. Strategic and managerial issues of official statistics (UN Population Division)
5.2 Statistical programmes, coordination within statistical systems
The Population Division participates in the activities of the Committee for the Coordination of Statistical Activities (CCSA).
The Population Division organizes the annual Coordination Meeting on International Migration. Through this and other mechanisms, dissemination of migration data and migration estimates are being discussed and coordinated.