2. Economic statistics (UNIDO)
2.3 Business statistics
• UNIDO in collaboration with OECD compiles and disseminates worldwide key industrial statistics at the 3- and 4-digit levels of ISIC (Revision 2 and 3). As per UN mandate UNIDO collects data directly from NSOs for non-OECD member countries while OECD collects data from its member countries and provides them to UNIDO to complete the global coverage of the UNIDO industrial statistics database system.
• Data received from NSOs are screened, adjusted and supplemented with UNIDO estimates as before, then will be stored in the UNIDO Industrial Statistics (INDSTAT) Database system in accordance with the individual reporting systems. INDSTAT database in rev 2 is expected to be phased out due the sharply declining number of reporting countries.
• UNIDO continues to maintain the ISIC (Rev.3) version of its Industrial Demand-Supply Balance (IDSB) Database
• UNIDO has completed the migration of its statistical database system from the mainframe to a client/server platform. A new presentation wizard has been developed in order to improve the data reporting system, especially to meet the user's demand more efficiently.
• IN 2009 UNIDO released its first edition of new statistical product in CD Rom INDSTAT-2, which contains historic series of data at the 2-digit level of ISIC Rev.3. This is a unique statistical product for a long-term structural analysis of industrial sector.
• In 2009, statistical methods of forecasting index numbers for recent year estimation of MVA data by ISIC was revised and successfully implemented.
ii) Methodological work that can go beyond 2009
• UNIDO is developing a manual on industrial statistics based on revised recommendations of industrial statistics and new list of data items for industrial surveys.
iii) New activities to be undertaken in the next year 2010
• Further work will be carried out in implementation of SDMX for data exchange with OECD and other international organizations
• Data imputation methods using non-official statistics will be developed to supplement the official data in the INDSTAT database.