2.6 International trade and balance of payments (ITF on International Trade in Services)
Trade in Services
• The Manual on Statistics of International Trade in Services (MSITS), which was published by six agencies in 2002, is currently being updated to take account of revisions to the System of National Accounts, the IMF Balance of Payments Manual, and other statistical frameworks. The update will maintain the relevance of the Manual but will be limited in scope. This work is the first priority of the TF in 2009. It is planned to publish the updated Manual in 2010.
• The Task Force (TFSITS) coordinates technical cooperation efforts between agencies to aid countries' implementation of the MSITS's recommendations. The Task Force has developed a free training module on trade in services coordinated by the World Trade Organization and with the World Bank.
• Data collection is coordinated by the agencies to avoid duplication of effort e.g. through standard questionnaires and codes for reporting the data, and data sharing.
• A UNSD web page, with a Newsletter, provides a central reference point for information about MSITS, the work of the TFSITS, seminars and other new developments. (http://unstats.un.org/unsd/tradeserv/default.asp). This provides links to the other organisations web pages on trade in services. OECD and UNSD have established email hotlines (respectively email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org for inquiries about the work on trade in services.
• A number of cross-cutting issues with merchandise trade statistics such as the measurement of trade in manufacturing services, merchanting and trade in digital products have led to agreement to hold one-day joint meetings with TFIMTS in March 2008 and March 2009.