Ongoing methodological work:
• FAO has been developing, in cooperation with development partners, developed and developing countries, a Global Strategy to Improve Agricultural and Rural Statistics. The Global Strategy will be available in early 2010.
• FAO will continue to concentrate on the revamping of FAOSTAT during 2010.
• Additional subject specific statistical modules of data, expanded coverage, improve the quality and timeliness of disseminated statistics.
• Emphasis will be placed on the implementation of the Global Strategy to Improve Agricultural and Rural Statistics, especially capacity building.
• Review of the major items included in the Agricultural Resources Domain for machinery, pesticides, labour and gender.
New work to be undertaken in 2010:
• FAO will develop, in cooperation with development partners, developing and developed countries, an Implementation Plan of the Global Strategy to Improve Agricultural and Rural Statistics.
• Methodological Review of World Census of Agriculture 2000.
Meeting to be organized in 2010:
• An Expert Consultation on Gender Disaggregated Data will be organized in Budapest, Hungary in 2010.
Dissemination and coordination of data collection
The dissemination programme for food and agriculture statistics is primarily via the FAOSTAT database available at (http://faostat.fao.org). The FAO Statistical Yearbook consolidates FAO's agriculture, forestry and fishery statistics.
• Work will continue on the development of metadata on crops and livestock as well as prices and resources, which underlies the data disseminated by FAOSTAT.
• Major work continues on upgrading and developing the Statistics Division's webpage www.fao.org/statistics/
Publication of new undernourished estimates and FAOSTAT data series.
• Data collection, evaluation, analyses and dissemination fishery related information - capture fisheries production, aquaculture production, commodities and trade, disposition, food-consumption of fishery products, fishers and fleets.
• Annual release of FAO Yearbook-Fishery Statistics for Capture Fisheries production, Aquaculture Production, Commodities and Apparent Consumption.
• On-line dissemination of statistics through FIGIS (Fisheries Global Information System, http://www.fao.org/fishery/statistics/en) together with various software for database handling, data collection and analyses. Data and software are also available as complementary CD version. Substantial update of the statistics dissemination software (FishStat) is in process since 2009.
• On-line dissemination of statistical guidelines, standards, and classifications relevant to fisheries and aquaculture, together with fisheries and stock status information provided from international and regional fisheries bodies through partnership arrangement of FIRMS (Fisheries Resources Monitoring System).
• Technical assistance for fishery and aquaculture data collection and monitoring system development along the line with the Strategy for Improving Information on Status and Trends of Capture Fisheries (Strategy-STF) and Strategy and Outline Plan for Improving Information on Status and Trends of Aquaculture (Strategy-STA).
• Continued improvement of the quality and timeliness of FAO-collated fishery statistics and information. Specific emphasis of this year includes re-construction of fleet statistics, re-designing capture and aquaculture production, and integration of catch statistics maintained by Regional Fishery Bodies in unified format.
• Coordination to enhance and update global standards for terminology, data requirement, and guideline for the purpose of monitoring of and supporting management for aquaculture and capture fishery sectors.
• Promotion of the implementation of Strategy-STF and Strategy-STA to strengthen monitoring and data collection capacity especially in Africa, Asia, and to a lesser extent in the Caribbean and South America, and some countries in East Europe.
Meetings in 2010:
• The 23rd session of Coordinating Working Party on Fishery Statistics (CWP): 22-26 February 2010, Hobart, Australia.
• Second meeting of the ad-hoc working group on fisheries statistics and data collection of The Fishery Committee for the West Central Gulf of Guinea (FCWC): March 2010, Accra, Ghana
• The meeting of CWP Aquaculture Group: June 2010, Bangkok, Thailand.
• ICES/FAO Symposium - First in a series of Fisheries Dependent Information conferences: Making the most of fisheries information, Unerpinning policy, management and science., 23-26 August 2010, Galway, Ireland.
• Annual release of forest products on-line statistical databases - production, trade and bilateral trade matrices, available at: http://faostat.fao.org/site/630/default.aspx
• Yearbook of Forest Products (1 volume), hardcopy and on-line version
• Complementary CD-Rom version, the database containing all FAOSTAT-Forestry statistics.
• Pulp and Paper Capacity Survey 2009-2014 (1 Volume), hardcopy and on-line version.
• A national workshop on capacity building for collection and reporting on forest products statistics is scheduled for 19-23 April 2010 in Mexico .
Government expenditure on agriculture & Official Development Assistance to Agriculture (ODA)
Continued compilation of government expenditure on agriculture by sub-sectors of main purpose activities, subsidies or taxes on agriculture, total government expenditures
• Establish and maintain data regularly with details that relate to concepts and methodology.
• Classify by different purpose activities.
• Collect data on subsidies and taxes by activities.
• Derive share of agriculture on total expenditures.
• Monitor and track by reporting regularly on reports and publications.
• Data on ODA is maintained in collaboration with OECD/World Bank and Regional Banks.
• Data on ODA is published.
• Data on ODA is regularly provided to the Office of the Director-General and many other users.