Theme 1.01 Population
Developments in demographic and migration statistics are driven by an increased policy focus on the long-run socio-economic impacts of demographic change, the development of a common immigration policy and the Common European Asylum System. The underlying priority for this theme is to enhance the policy relevance and the quality of population statistics and analyses.
2. Work Programme for 2009
2.1 KEY PRIORITIES 2009
The important demographic challenges facing the European Union as well as the development of a common immigration policy have resulted in an unprecedented demand for high quality demographic and migration statistics to support policy-making. Consequently, considerable attention will be given to activities for the improvement of all aspects of quality of the existing statistics. Major efforts will be made to ensure the accuracy and comparability of the statistics collected under Regulation 862/2007 and in particular all statistics used to allocate funds to Member States under the EU's Solidarity and Management of Migration Flows programme. Additionally, the demographic projections will provide essential information for the promotion of sustainable economic and social reform in Europe under the renewed Lisbon strategy.
2.2 OBJECTIVES 2009
2.2.1. Ongoing work
- Collect demographic data at both national and regional level (ongoing throughout the year). Transmit the annual population estimates to the Council (October 2009). Collect data on asylum on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis. Collect data on other migration-related topics on an annual basis;
- Analyse and disseminate demographic and migration statistics by means of focused and/or detailed publications;
- Get the adoption by the Commission of a proposal for a Regulation of the European Parliament and the Council on demographic statistics based on the existing data collection (December 2009);
- Release the Trend scenario of the Eurostat Population Projections 2008-based (EUROPOP2008) and the regional projections (December 2009);
- Develop a system for census data dissemination;
- Get the adoption by the Commission of a proposal for the implementing legislation for Article 3 (migration flows, foreign population stocks) of Regulation 862/2007;
- Get the adoption by the Commission of a proposal for the implementing legislation for Article 6 (residence permit statistics) of Regulation 862/2007;
- Provide necessary statistics on migration and asylum to allow the proper allocation of the funds to Member States under the 'Solidarity and Management of Migration Flows' programme (June 2009).
2.2.2. New work
- Develop a method for the calculation of life expectancy by socio-economic group;
- Implement a programme for the quality assurance of migration and asylum statistics used in the allocation of the 'Solidarity and Management of Migration Flows' Funds (ongoing throughout the year);
- Review and develop statistics to meet needs related to future EU migration policies - including analysis of LFS (core survey and ad hoc module) and other survey data;
- Initiate discussions with Member States regarding needs for, and feasibility of, additional disaggregations for migration statistics (Article 8(3) of Regulation 862/2007) (June 2009);
- Encourage an experimental exchange of microdata between countries that use population registers as a migration statistics data source.