The DDI Executive Board is made up of Gillian Nicoll (Chair), Ron Nakao (Vice Chair), George Alter, Mari Kleemola, Steve McEachern, Anita Rocha, Leanne Trimble and Mary Vardigan (Executive Director).
The Board meets once every 2 months.
Excerpt from Bylaws:
The purposes of the Executive Board are to:
1. Select a Host Institution to house the Executive Director and Secretariat and to assume financial and legal responsibility for the Alliance.
2. Set overall policy and budget for the Alliance.
3. Provide strategic guidance and review of the Alliance’s activities.
4. Appoint an Executive Director for the Alliance for a five-year, renewable term.
5. Oversee the management of the financial affairs of the Alliance on behalf of the Members.
6. Set Alliance membership fees and length of membership term for each institutional classification of membership subject to the ratification by formal resolution at the Annual Meeting of Members.
7. Set fees for use of Alliance registered trademarks, certification marks, and collective marks or copyright material and for Alliance‐sponsored activities and products.
8. Make decisions on allocation of funds for innovative work and testing.
9. Form Working Groups to perform specific duties.
The Chair of the Scientific Board is Adam Brown and the Vice Chair is Steve McEachern
Excerpt for Bylaws:
The purposes of the Scientific Board are to:
1. Contribute to the substantive content of DDI standards and semantic products and approve major version revisions.
2. Evaluate technical proposals through the Alliance standards review process.
3. Undertake research and testing concerning proposals for DDI standards and semantic products.
4. Develop and promulgate best practices for use of DDI standards and semantic products.
5. Assess progress and barriers to progress.
6. Suggest future directions and activities for the Alliance.
The Technical Committee consists of Wendy Thomas (Chair), Joachim Wackerow (Vice Chair), Johan Finn, Arofan Gregory, Jeremy Iverson, Jon Johnson, Dan Smith
The group meets weekly.
Excerpt from Bylaws
1. The purpose of the Technical Committee is to model, render, maintain, and update the DDI specifications to meet community needs and align with Alliance strategic goals. The TC receives input from substantive working groups of the Scientific Board, DDI users and developers, and other interested parties.
2. The activities of the Technical Committee cover the following:
a. Develop the conceptual models.
b. Implement the models in various technical forms.
c. Monitor the metadata landscape and related developments.
d. Initiate and plan possible future directions for the standards.
DDI Moving Forward (DDI4) Project Advisory Group -- Terms of Reference (see AG working page)
1. According to the Alliance Bylaws the Scientific Board is responsible for the Alliance's “scientific and technical work” and development of new standards. To give effect to this the Scientific Board will be recognised as the main source of direction for the Moving Forward project, agreeing to use cases, requirements and setting the scope of the standard on behalf of the community.
2. An Advisory Group for the Moving Forward project will be convened for the life of the Project, and will have a role in planning the release schedule for the Project and providing clarification and guidance to the project teams. The Advisory Group will consist of no more than 8 members who will be drawn from the member representatives of the Alliance and others as deemed appropriate to ensure that the membership represents:
● The user community
- Statistical agencies
- Research institutes/universities
● The Moving Forward project development contributors
- Project manager
- Technical advisers (including but not limited to the Technical Committee)
● Technical implementers those who will be required to implement the standard in
● The Director
3. The Chair and ViceChair of the Scientific Board will automatically assume membership of the Advisory Group upon their appointment to those positions.
4. Members of the Advisory Group will be selected, from those nominated for membership, by the Chair and ViceChair of the Scientific Board.
5. The role of Chair for the Moving Forward project Advisory Group will be created (the ‘AG Chair’).This role will be filled by the Chair of the Scientific Board (the ‘SB Chair’), or by a person selected by the SB Chair. The AG Chair will be responsible for making decisions on the advice of the Advisory Group, which represents the community.
6. The Advisory Group may consult with, and invite to attend meetings, any other individual, either within or outside of the DDI Alliance, that the AG Chair deems necessary to ensure good advice is provided to further the goals of the Moving Forward project.
7. The Advisory Group for the Moving Forward project will meet monthly or as required to support the needs of the project. It will receive regular reports on project progress and will provide advice to ensure the outcomes being met by the project reflect those required to meet the needs of the community.
8. The Project Manager will report to the AG Chair.
9. The Executive Board does not play a role in the governance of the Moving Forward project other than setting the boundaries within which the project operates and maintaining responsibility for any Moving Forward project related financial issues.